Become a Model: Casting Situation and Agency Imagine – what you need to know!
The procedure of the job interview in a modeling agency varies depending on the agency. From very short to short. For open castings in agencies you might have five minutes. At a single invitation maybe ten minutes. Depending on the level of experience, the entire appointment, including arrival, photos and short introduction video takes twenty minutes. Whichever you have more or less time to convince. Accordingly, you should also prepare for the appointment. Let’s take a closer look at the process.
Procedure of the interview in the modeling agency: The arrival
Punctuality is so important. In the media industry, “on point” applies. If your appointment is at 1pm, you should be there at 1pm. If earlier, then a maximum of two minutes.
Many tend to come earlier, which is not an advantage. Model agents have their daily business, very tight schedules and exact dates. If you are fifteen minutes earlier at the casting, it may interfere with the internal process. Depending on the size of the agency, there may not be any extra receiving power, meaning the bookers are spontaneously torn from their work. Again and again we have the situation in casting the model already thirty, forty minutes before the start ring or come in directly. Depending on the location you often do not have the possibility to close all accesses. For example, in large castings in hotels many guests are on site. So models can always go directly to the casting room. But if the team is still in the middle of the briefing and you already stand in the room as a model and say hello, that will be negative.
What if you are late? Often, models travel widely for agency castings. Munich, Hamburg, you often have to plan a two-day trip. If your train is delayed on such long distances, everyone understands it. Just call the agency and let me know. You will receive just as friendly. If you can not call anyone directly at big auditions, stay calm and do not get hectic. In Paris they say “C’est la vie”, that’s life. Do not lose your smile.
Your first agency visit, castings, showrooms and shootings: be on time
Depending on the route, you should always plan to be there sooner. You can always get some tea nearby and do a little bit for Instagram and Co. Then you are right nearby, you can go on time and you’re on point.
Casting in the Model Agency: The process
Depending on the situation, you will have a conversation with one or two model agents. They are directly at the customer and know exactly what their regular customers are looking for new advertising campaigns. The person will probably also be your contact in the agency, which means you will work together a lot. So try to be honest and natural right away. Basically, you introduce yourself after the welcome, present your experience, your motivation and your benefits. If you already have a model portfolio, the booker looks at your footage and often gives you a direct, if short, feedback. In most cases, the model agent will also ask you to demonstrate your abilities. That means he wants a short catwalk from you, with short posing and looks.
6 steps for a good walk on the catwalk
A tip for your first walk in an agency. Your walk consists of five elements:
- Run – As you approach the model agent, you focus one point behind him or her on the wall. There your gaze stays.
- Last Meter – In the final steps (depending on the length of the room) your gaze goes to the model agent
- Posing – Stop, enjoy the moment! Count 21 …. 22 … 23 … only then do you go back. At a fashion show, this is the highlight for designers and the media. Photographers can do theirs
- Photos of the garments – For the photographers to take enough pictures, you have to stop, pose, exchange views. For a little “catch” you can wink or laugh just before the turn.
- Turn – First turn your body. Your gaze stays with the booker for a moment. Then you pull your head and look.
- Return – You focus again on a point in the room and are just walking towards it. Your gaze will remain at a height of about two meters so that your head and body stay well stretched.
Depending on the booker’s interest in you as a model, your measurements will be measured, short Polaroid images or video presentations made. The introductory video also follows a fairly steady course. You may need to introduce yourself in English briefly so that the booker can see directly if he can suggest you to international clients. In general, the booker is standing in front of you with a small camera or a tablet. The video should capture you as naturally as possible and is done in a recording.
Short introduction video for model agents and customers of you as a model
- Introduction – Hi, my name is Elena, I’m 17 years old and I’m 179 cm tall.
- Portrait – At Polaroids, a portrait is filmed first, then your hair is taken back in the braid, you turn into the profile (left) and turn in the other direction again (right).
- Whole body – Same procedure as in the portrait, only that you also show your back. For each step, first hair, then hold together. In progress: Frontal view, side-to-side rotation, rear view, side-to-side rotation, frontal view
- Walk – The booker will go back a bit, then make a short walk. As previously described, only with other conclusion. You do not run back to the camera, instead you post in front of the camera, showing facial expressions and expressions. After about five seconds Posing you say goodbye.
Admission to the modeling agency
The longed-for call and the admission to the Model Agency: Now it’s time to wait! The process is never the same, some models convince the booker so much that they get the option on the model contract directly in the conversation. Other models you would like to discuss before in a team or look at the book again in peace. In any case, recording is very fast if the agency is interested. Mostly you will find out directly if it works or in two or three days. As a rule, the Booker team says goodbye to you with the words “Thank you for your visit. If interested, we will contact you. “And that can sometimes take a while. If you have not received any feedback after two weeks, it will probably not work with the recording. Of course, you can ask questions to make sure for you. After that, you should in no case write more e-mails or make calls, because you do not want to annoy the agency and if there is interest, the agency will contact you.
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!