Have you decided to become a model or would you like to give your model career more seriousness and work more professionally? Then the first step is to find the right agency. You already have an appointment at an agency? Read how to prepare for your interview here!
Become a model – Application and interview
If you want to apply to us, you will find everything you need to know about the topic here:
Why do you need a model agency for modeling?
An agency is very important for a model, because it supports and protects you as a model. She helps you find photographers and jobs. No matter if you are booked as a model for shootings or catwalks, the agency will show you in the best light. The bookers know how to present yourself optimally with your book. As “New Face” you will be supported by your agency in setting up your book and your setcard. One very important point: an agency protects you from dubious customers and dubious job enquiries. Usually dubious customers already shy away when they learn that a model is represented by an agency. This is particularly important for an international modeling career, because models abroad are often underpaid and exploited. A reputable model agency ensures that you do not work unpaid overtime, that you do not take dubious pictures of yourself, that you are adequately paid and accommodated. In addition, the agency will determine in advance whether the job is of high quality and whether you can be associated with the customer as a model without your image suffering as a result. At best, every job should prove your model qualities and positively underline your image.
How do you find the best model agency as a newcomer?
There are now plenty of model agencies. But how do I even find a suitable model agency? And when is a modeling agency serious? Your search starts on the Internet. It’s convenient if your agency is within your radius. That’s why you should simply enter “Model agency + your city” in Google and browse the results. Since it is generally important for a model to be represented in the larger “Mode & Medien-Städten” in Germany, you should search for “Modelagenturen + Hamburg/ Berlin/ München/ Köln/ Düsseldorf/ Frankfurt”. You’ll get some results. The next hurdle: Now how do you know which of the agencies are even serious? One possibility is that there are already ready-made model agency lists on the Internet that are constantly updated, for example the Vogue list. With this you can assume that only well-known and serious agencies are listed. However, as a dedicated model you should take a closer look at your selected agencies yourself before applying.
Criteria for serious model agencies in Germany
In order to find out for yourself which agency is serious, you should go through different steps.
- Step 1: The Agency’s website. Very important: A serious model agency has a serious website. A simple, clear design, a high quality board and information about the agency team.
- Step 2: The level of the models. Take a look at the model board and determine the level of the models yourself. The following criteria will help you here: Do the models have optimal model dimensions and an impressive face? Are the pictures of the models high quality?
- Step 3: Does the agency work with serious clients? You can easily research this on the agency’s website or on the agency’s social media platforms. In general, you can easily measure the seriousness of your customers according to their degree of recognition. Also the “likes” on Facebook or “Follwer” on Instagram show how well known and popular a model agency is.
- Step 4: Search the Internet for reports from other models or clients of the agency. Note that not every comment is true. In order to get a better picture of the agency you should read enough testimonials and reviews of the agency. To say it in addition is: See these evaluations rather than references, make you nevertheless own picture.
Find your perfect model agency – Summary:
Recognize reputable model agencies:
- Serious customers (for example, well-known brands through advertising)
- Serious models (appearance, dimensions)
- Fixed admission criteria
- Serious website
- Transparency regarding the agency team (for example through website)
Agency is not serious if:
- No/untransparent website (no naming of agency headquarters or agency teams)
- Simple agency admission without preconditions and interview
- No cooperation with serious customers
- Admission fees will be charged
The model application
You have now found a suitable, reputable model agency and would like to apply as a model. What’s the best way to apply? Nowadays, applications are usually sent by e-mail, which means that you can find an e-mail address and a contact person to whom you can send your application via the agency’s website.
What must be in your application?
Most agencies publish their admission criteria on their websites. In general, you should state your measurements in your mail, i.e. chest, waist and hip circumference. You should attach great importance to the accuracy and timeliness of your measurement data, because an agency does not like it at all if you make false statements. You’ve never taken measurements yourself? No problem. No problem.
Take and measure measurements yourself
You simply measure your measurements with a normal tape measure. If you’re unsure, get someone you can trust to help you. To determine the exact circumference of your chest, the tape measure must be placed at the widest point of the chest and pulled to tension. Important for women: If you wear a bra when measuring, pull off approx. 1 cm, for push-up bras at least 2 cm. To determine the circumference of your waist, place the tape measure at the narrowest point and pull it tight. You measure the hip circumference at the widest point of your hip or bottom. The optimal model measurements for a woman (as a guideline) are 90-60-90.
In addition to your measurements, you should include pictures in your application. You should make a selection that shows you in different facets, i.e. commercial, fashion and beauty pictures from your book as well as simple Polaroids. You don’t have a book yet and no Polaroids? No problem. No problem.
Picture selection for your model folder
Some agencies prefer models who already have a certain selection of pictures. So you should start looking for different, good photographers. The easiest way to do this is via the Internet. Do the same as your agency search, i.e. search for professional photographers in your area, check their websites, look at their pictures and search for ratings of the photographers by other models. Important: Make a conscious choice. It is of little use to you if you thoughtlessly select numerous photographers who take similar pictures of you (for example, only fashion pictures). Rather, you should choose a few photographers who take different pictures of you in different “directions”, i.e. fashion, commercial and beauty pictures. Here applies: Invest rather a little more money, so that the pictures become qualitatively high-quality and convince. Only those who invest will benefit.
Polaroids for Models – Fast, clean photos
At some agencies even simple Polaroid pictures are sufficient for the application. You can do this yourself or get support from a friend or family member. Polaroids are clean pictures that show your body and face in different facets and give the agency a first impression of you. Polaroids show you in front of a white wall, a good exposure, without make-up, in plain, tight-fitting clothes (skinny jeans or leggings & simple top or T-shirt) and with women preferably in high shoes. One picture should be taken of you in underwear, on one picture you should laugh, on the other one you should look rather expressionless into the camera. Important: No big posing! The pictures should be simple and natural.
Checklist for models
- Optimal & exact dimensions
- Optically neat look
- The special something (For example, strikingly beautiful eyes/lips, small features such as a tooth gap or a mothers meal, long & undyed hair, a special radiance)
- Self-conscious, present & friendly appearance
If you meet all the criteria of the model agency and the bookers find you interesting, you will be invited to a personal interview at the agency.